National Diabetes Prevention Program
A Lifestyle Change Intervention Program to Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
The National Diabetes Prevention Program arms you with skills to make lasting lifestyle changes to reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes.
Each program session covers an important topic related to your exciting health and wellness journey. You’ll learn about fat and calories, overall healthy eating, ways to become more active, strategies to manage stress and stay motivated, navigating social events, problem solving, and so much more! In addition, you can take advantage of the YMCA facility and class offerings while you track your progress. You’ll be in a friendly environment where you can have fun and enjoy your adventure!
The NDPP offers you…
- A curriculum approved by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
- The skills you need to lose weight, be more physically active, and manage stress long-term.
- A trained lifestyle coach to guide and encourage you.
- Support from other participants with the same goals as you.
- A year-long program with weekly meetings for the first 6 months, then once or twice a month for the second 6 months.
You should participate if you are at least 18 years of age and…
- You score 9 points or higher on the risk test and are at a BMI equal to or greater than 24 (Asian 22).
- You have been diagnosed with prediabetes from a blood test.
- You have a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes.
- You are not currently diagnosed with diabetes.
What is prediabetes?
People with prediabetes have blood sugar levels higher than normal but not yet high enough to be diabetes. This raises your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Lifestyle changes including weight loss and increased physical activity can cut your risk of getting type 2 diabetes by 50%! Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, 15%-30% of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years!
January – December, 2018
September, 2017 – August, 2018
January 21, 2019 / Lifestyle Coach: Jennifer Walsh
Mondays, 6:00-7:00 pm
YMCA/Choice Health & Fitness Members: $65
General Public: $135 (includes limited membership privileges)
Financial scholarship assistance is available.
Register at Y Member Services. For details, scholarship information or other questions, contact Patti McEnroe – (701) 775-2586 / email@example.com.
Download a program brochure here: Nat DPP brochure Nov 2018 2
For more information about diabetes prevention in North Dakota, visit: http://www.diabetesnd.org/